Fall in love with Washington, D.C. all over again!

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Behind the Scenes: America's Executive Mansion

Imagine what it's like to cook for the leader of the free world. Every morning, you enter a building--no, a home--steeped in our country's history. You can make a candlelight dinner for two, or cater an elegant affair for 1,000 guests. You're one of the White House chefs.

When I first sat down to think of an idea for my contribution to Cherry Blossom Capers, I decided to aim straight for one of the top attractions in our nation's capital, but one of the most tightly guarded: the White House. Enter my heroine, a chef from Texas who's enjoying her dream job. Then came a news story that gave my story its all-too-real what-if.

I remember visiting the White House when I was in junior high, during those pre-September 11th days when security was tight, but not like now. Maybe those were the days of innocence. But the news story that helped inspire my novella showed that evil will always try to find a way to sneak inside.

The following video isn't that news story. I'm not giving the ending away! But it's a video that shows some of the goings-on behind the scenes at the White House. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment